Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

BO8, Waltz-8, 3s, Serpentines

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler coffee club as usual.

Today's lesson:
  • BO8 -- LBO is still a bit weak.  I reminded myself to press down the skating hand at the beginning of the edge (esp. on the left side) to help the edge be more stable.  I also need to work to keep the free foot in front longer on the L side.  Lynne also reminded me to keep the free foot close on the L side after the rotation.  All of this helped a bit.
  • Waltz-8 -- RFO3 is still a little skidded, and I still occasionally tap my foot down on the step forward; but otherwise the R side is not bad (still not passing quality though).  L side... 3s are better, and the step forward is improving, but I still need to hold the BO edge around a bit more.
  • 3s to center -- these are improving!  I had about a 50% rate of not putting my foot down on the L side after the turn, so that's improvement.  R side is pretty good in that respect.   Biggest issue on the R side is to have better flow through the turn, and to improve the check so that I can fill out the 2nd half of the circle.  The L side has a long way to go in that regard.
  • Serpentines -- we worked on the FOI side and also the FIO side.  The FIO side is improving.  I tried pushing harder and was able to get 3/4 of the way around the new circle!!  The FOI side not so much.  It's all about the quality of the FO edge.  If that is good then things can really flow.
I'm really pleased with my progress.  It's slow but it's happening, and I'll take that any day.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home