Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Light Bulb Moment

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler coffee club.  We started the session on the "North Pole" but got switched to the "South Pole" just before my lesson.  On the positive side the South Pole ice had just been surfaced before we got on.   Also it was intensely cold on the North Pole side but a bit warmer on the South Pole side.

Today's lesson:
  • FO8s -- I had done a bunch of these in my (long) warmup and they were pretty good.   Lynne asked me to do a fresh layout and I did... not so great the first time.  Grr.  Restarted and they were much better.  I was having some upper-body issues but I managed 3x around on each side and they were not bad at all.
  • FO3s -- as usual, on the small hockey semicircle.  These are still a bit skidded, esp. the RFO3, but I am holding the FO edge quite a bit longer so that's something.
  • Waltz-8 -- it's exasperating to me that my FO3s can be kinda okay (see above), but when I put them in the w-8 context all of a sudden they are pretty yukky.  Geez.  In general these are improving, though -- especially the step forward from LBO to RFO is suddenly much better!  I was really pleased with that.
  • BI8 -- finished up with these.  They are continuing to slowly improve.  I actually have pretty good control, but I'm not getting a good push, especially on the subsequent pushes... which led to the....
  • Light bulb moment -- I asked Lynne why my first push on the BI8s is so much better than the later ones, and after some discussion and analysis we realized it's because when I come in to center, I'm stepping on the new BI edge and then pushing.  Really, I should be pushing onto the new BI edge.   Duh!  Like I said, light bulb moment.  In any other non-standing-start scenario you always push onto the new edge and this should be no different.  She showed me what she meant and I can do it a little, it's just tricky.  Something to work on, but really really grateful for the insight.
No skating for me tonight or tomorrow, I will be off to Portland for work.  If all goes well I will get to try on my new boots tomorrow!  Yay.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home