Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

BO8s, Waltz-8 & Serpentine!

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler coffee club.  This was a great lesson!!  Lynne took Mary first s I had a good long warmup.  My FO8s were really awesome, it was very encouraging.

Today's lesson:
  • BO8 -- after a couple of just -eh- starts, I did several really nice BO8s.  I'm getting much better control and I'm doing a good job of holding the 2nd half of the circle, even on the L side (though it is still weaker).  Lynne was quite pleased and so was I.   I still need to be more consistent, and to a better job of holding the free foot in front at the beginning.
  • Waltz-8 -- we didn't practice any FO3s to start with, just straight into these.  We talked about the BO edge and we agreed that I can obviously do a nice BO edge (see above!) so there's no reason I couldn't do one here.  So I just kind of re-thought it in my head a bit and decided I was just going to hold that BO edge longer, and if it was too long, well, it wouldn't be the end of the world.  So.. I proceeded to do some really awesome waltz-8s!  The turns were okay (some were quite good), the BO edge was calm, cool, and controlled (!). The step forward is still lacking (I'm still stepping somewhat out) but all in all we were both very pleased with these.
  • Serpentine -- finished up with these.  I was having problems with these yesterday and my first couple were just as bad, but then they improved (partly because my FO edges were so good earlier).  Lynne reminded me that I'm going to have to start pushing a lot harder to make these work (it's a long way around!) and so I did... and did the best yet, by far.  Made it through the RFO to the change of edge and about 4 feet past the halfway point of the new circle. YAY!  The subsequent ones were not quite as good but I am making progress so I'm pretty pleased.
All in all this was an awesome lesson and I am feel very happy about my progress.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home