Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

APB Freestyle Test Runthrough

Today's lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.  As usual good ice and only about 4 skaters.  As I was getting on I got to see Nikki B and wish her luck at Regionals, it was nice to see her.  Also saw Michelle and Sarah P.  Good stuff!


Today's lesson:
  • Spins -- trying to build on my progress from last night.  I had some that were pretty good, others not so much.  JJ had me working to bring both my hands out and around and not bring them in (the best ones were where I actually did that).  Progress though!
  • Waltz jump -- pretty good.  JJ reminded me to hold the landing.
  • Salchow -- since I've been doing this from the "waltz-jump" style entrance they are awesome timing-wise.  I need to get more "jump" though.  I should try doing a waltz jump - salchow sequence.
  • Two-foot spin -- it's always the "easy" stuff that gets you and today was no exception.  Grrr.  I couldn't get a really good one to save my life.  Hmm.  Needs work.
  • FXOs/BXOs -- no issues here esp. since I only have to do one direction (a.k.a. my good side).  We worked a bit on "presentation" though -- JJ would like me to do a landing position after the BXOs, then step forward and T-stop.  Bleah.
  • Lunge -- no issues here other than JJ pointing out that I need to hold the lunge for 3 secs.  That seems like foreeeeever!
After my lesson I stayed and skated another 45 minutes.   Worked on spins, jumps and moves.  Good stuff.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 2:25 PM , Blogger Walla Walla Sk8ter said...

    Go for it Gordon! Have you signed up yet? When I did my APB free, I did the worst one-foot spin in the history of the test and I still passed. One good thing about the free skate is that the test is only two-minutes, not the 10 minute eternity of MITF.

     
  • At 3:18 PM , Blogger Gordon said...

    Thanks! No I have not signed up yet but we are thinking November. Geez that's soon I had better get on this (and make more progress!).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home