Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Spins & Toe Loop

My lesson with JJ this week was moved to the 5 p.m. FS at Gilbert due to a work trip and some other issues.  I'd not skated this session before (I'd skated the 5:10 they had in the summer).  Not such great ice but not too crowded so it was okay.

I had brought my new iPod Touch that I got last week and JJ used it several times to video me and show me what I was doing.  I think it's a helpful tool although we probably over-used it a bit :-)

Today's lesson:
  • spins -- still working on these.  I'm "raising the curtain" usually and have better control over the entry, but I'm still working on opening up the L side.   I'm still generally in the 2 rev range and they are not very centered, usually, so there's a long way to go on these.
  • toe loop -- we are working on fixing these.  We worked them on the wall for a while and then out on the ice.  The main thing I've not focused on that I need to do is to open the hip.  I tend to be closed-hipped which makes it really hard to jump even if I could manage to bring the R foot around more.  We did make some progress on these so that's encouraging.
No lesson next week but I have a lot to work on so I'm not concerned.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home