Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Spins & Jumps

Today's lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.  It was somewhat crowded the session before, but the 7:30 only had 4 or so of us.

Today's lesson:
  • spins -- these are really all that is keeping me from testing.  JJ reminded me that I need to (duh) hold the free leg/side back until I hook the spin.  He also told me I should try to keep the free arm high and back on the step forward (I think it's a curtain metaphor).  This does actually help since, for one thing, it tends to help me keep the free leg back.  I'm still only getting 2 revs generally speaking.
  • waltz jump -- we worked mostly on de-scraping the BO edge before the jump.  I reminded myself it's just like the Bronze move -- I can certainly hold a BO edge at speed without scraping!  JJ wanted me to hold the forward edge longer before the jump.  It seemed kinda weird to me.  Grrr.
  • salchow -- working on the waltz jump and holding the FO edge I had inadvertently done a 3-turn as if I were doing a salchow -- so JJ had me try doing a salchow with the same entrance as a waltz jump (BO edge, step forward).  Wow!  Really easy and natural.  I'll have to play with this more.
  • toe loop -- we spent some time working on de-cheating the toe loop.  Mostly against the wall, feeling the draw-through of the RBO edge and pivoting on the toepick.  This will definitely need more work.
All in all a good lesson.  I couldn't stay for the next session due to work, unfortunately.   There will be some weirdnesses in our lesson schedule -- we're doing Monday at 3:30 (Labor Day) and the week after will be back to Tuesday I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home