Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sherwood Invitational 2010

Here's how my Apollo 13 free skate program went. 

I was originally scheduled to skate at 2:48, in a combined warmup with a pre-pre boy.  However the pre-pre boy was actually a girl ( there was a mistake) so that was cancelled and I had a warmup to myself.  This meant that I had a 4-minute warmup, but since I needed to come off a minute early to rest I really only had a 3-minute warmup -- and no practice ice today (I had skated for 1.5 hours yesterday).  So a slight "eep" there.

The competition was running late, so I estimated I would skate around 3 (I think it wound up being more like 3:15 or 3:20).  I went to the (deserted since there were only myself and 2 boys skating in the whole competition) men's locker room to put my skates on and double-check my costume around 2:30 or 2:35 (I could not bring myself to do it later as I was starting to get nervous).  I also warmed up a bit with some jumping jacks and did some stretching.  Then I went and checked in with the ice monitor and waited and talked with Sonya.

Finally it was time to take the ice for my warmup.  I skated my usual lap of slaloms to get to feeling my edges, but I cut it rather short in the interests of time and went straight into the mohawk/BXO/waltz jump part of my program, followed by a spin.  From there I went to do the RFI3-toe loop sequence but instead did RFI3 RFI3 -- what the heck?  Told myself not to do that, then went and did RFI3 - toe loop.  Came back to the Zamboni end of the ice, went into the mohawk-salchow sequence and it went well (went straight into the salchow w/no hesitation and landed it!).  At this point I went to confer with Sonya and she told me that I was not straightening my free leg on my jump landings.  So I went out and did a waltz jump and tried to fix that, then quickly did a two-foot spin.  Went to confer with Sonya and she said I'd fixed the landing position.  Went out and did another 1-foot spin and then they called the 1-minute warning.  

Went to Sonya for a last minute pep talk and took off my jacket and got some water.  Then they called my name and I skated out to my starting position, trying to skate a little faster and with no scooter pushes :-).  Took my position and started....

The first part went pretty well.  I started the two foot spin as soon as I heard the music start (not waiting for the drum roll -- I'd decided it was too easy to misjudge and I was better off just starting).  The spin went well but I had to do more revs than usual since I'd started early; but I finished it just right and did the back pivot and the forward glides etc. 

I was feeling pretty good at this point and started the mohawk and BXO section right when I was supposed to and was counting the music and getting to a good speed...  and hit the waltz jump JUST RIGHT.  It made me so happy!  Straight into the mohawk section which was perhaps a bit sloppy (it's a little hazy to me) and then went STRAIGHT into the salchow from the last mohawk -- no hesitation or think time.  YAY!  The salchow *almost* came off but I was a little off balance on the landing, and almost fell but didn't (not sure exactly what happened).  I also got really nervous at this point.

I was a little jarred by the near fall but went into the 1-foot spin -- I can't say if it was any good or not.  I think I forgot the arms thing before the spin, but I'm not sure.  Came out of the spin and forward into the T-stop right on time.

Did the bunny hop and lunge, into the RFI3 and toe loop.  I was still a bit nervous here so the toe loop wasn't so great :-(.  Went into the final spin and I was running out of time, then into my final lunge thingie.  I was sliding and sliding but JJ and I had decided I should just let it go and not try to brake.  As it was my L foot (skating foot) started to get away from me (I think) but I managed to squeeze enough to keep from going kerblooie.... and I was done!

Got up, took my bows and skated off a very happy and relieved man!

I have to say that all during the warmup and my skate there was an awful lot of cheering and clapping and support from the audience.  It really made me feel great!  I can't begin to describe how much the support of the SFSC homegirls and parents meant to me.  It was awesome!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home