Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Waltz-8, B8s

Today's figures lesson on the Chandler coffee club.  Due to insane work schedule etc.  I had not skated since last Thursday!  eep :-(.  Fortunately Lynne gave me a good half hour to warm up and get my legs back under me. In the warmup my RFO8s were looking really good!  LFO8 much better also :-).

Today's lesson:
  • waltz-8 -- we spent almost half the lesson on these   My key learning (sorry, an Intel-ism) is that I really when I do the step forward I really need to actually turn the soon-to-be-not-skating foot, just like I would to push onto any kind of edge (e.g. starting an FO8).  Hmm.  These are improving, and I am actually able to come back to center about 30% of the time; but the circle is pretty egg-shaped due to the FO edge going out too far.
  • BO8 -- these are coming along.  The RBO8 is not too bad, I get around the circle pretty much every time and usually the circle size and centering are not bad.  LBO8 is a lot rougher, I'm still having troubles coming back to center.
  • BI8 -- these are slowly improving also.  The push is still lacking though, it's not quite enough to get me around.  We worked esp. on the 2nd half of the RBI8.  I am tending to open my hip up here and Lynne thinks I should keep it more closed in order to not bring the circle in too much.  It's a bit tricky to do this and still extend the free leg.
All in all I'm pretty pleased with my progress.   I need to get back into my practice routine though!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 9:50 AM , Blogger physics girl said...

    I am impressed that you can find ice time for figures! Where I live there are no patch sessions any more. I practice them in a poorly-attended morning freeskate session, but my coach does not help me with them. How long have you been working on them?

     
  • At 5:37 PM , Blogger Gordon said...

    I have been working on them for probably over 2 years; but it's really only since I moved to Phx and began lessons with my coach Lynne (and committed to serious ice time) that I've made any real progress.

    My coach Lynne was a nationals Silver medalist in figures! She's awesome.

    My ice time for figures is on coffee club (adult skate) and it's usually pretty decent ice and, just as important, not too crowded plus the folks there are cooperative. There aren't any patch sessions here either.

    If you are really into this you should consider attending the all-figures competition next year!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home