Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Even More Jumps & Spins


Today's lesson was at 7 a.m. As usual, I was on the ice at 6:45 a.m. What was not usual was that instead of paying the hour rate to skate from 6:45 to 7:45, I was told I had to pay for two sessions because one session was 5:30 to 7 and the next was 7 to 8. I don't understand why they are doing this differently, it means that I paid $8 for 15 minutes of ice time. It was very annoying and really put me off -- if I had known they were doing this I would have scheduled my lesson time differently. (To be clear, it's their right to do as they please I just don't like surprises at 6:30 a.m.) I'm not sure what I'll do about next week. Besides all this I didn't sleep well so I was tired and cranky :-(.

Today's lesson:
  • spins -- not much love on these. We spent some quality time on them. Sonya reminded me that I really need to bend my knee/ankle more when I step into the spin. They were all pretty stinky though.
  • waltz jump -- just a couple of these since I'd not jumped yet. The timing is pretty good. Sonya wanted me to use a bigger pattern into the jump, so I did. I think her point was that it helps make the jump itself bigger.
  • toe loop -- we worked on these pretty extensively. Got a couple that were pretty good, and my form and flow are improving.
  • salchow -- Sonya really wanted to look at these and we had not looked at them in some time. Sonya held my hand through some which really helped as far as getting a feel for how it's supposed to go. She reminded me that I need to keep the L hand in front and not let it drift out to the side. Biggest issues are to really bend the L knee and not to bend the R knee, but bring the free leg around and then through. I am having a hard time trying to do these things at the same time.
After my lesson since I'd paid to skate until 8 I stayed and worked on Bronze moves. 5-step mohawk and power 3s need more work, definitely. Forward and back perim. XOs are coming along nicely though.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home