Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Bronze Moves


Tonight's lesson was on the 6:15 FS as usual. When I got on the ice I was accosted (lol) by Madison, Karly, Emmy and Anna... "you can't leave! Why are you leaving!?" It was really very sweet. While I'm glad to be moving, I am really going to miss my skating buddies here at Sherwood. Thanks gang :-) You've been a real pleasure to skate with and to know. Thanks for your friendship!

Today's lesson:
  • 5-step mohawk -- Kelli wanted to keep working on timing on this. The LFI mohawk is still a bit rough, I'm tending to do weird things with my free leg during the turn. The BO edge needs to be held better and I'm tending to curve it too much on the RBO so that the lobe is cut off. The step forward on both sides is a bit awkward (duh, I've been struggling with those for a while) but it is improving.
  • Back perimeter XOs -- these are getting more confident. Kelli cracked me up because apparently I'm doing some weird sort of thing with my hands on the power shift ("bay window" as Kelli calls it) -- she compared it to the Karate Kid "wax-on, wax-off"... I was disbelieving that I was actually doing that but then the next time through, I caught myself doing it and just cracked up. Who says lessons aren't fun? I thought it was pretty funny. Anyway, stuff to work on but I'm happy with my progress.
  • Forward perimeter XOs -- we just had a couple of minutes on these. Kelli wants me to work more on holding the extension on the FI edge a bit longer, all the way to the top of the lobe, *then* step to the FXO. These are gradually getting a lot more comfortable, although the CW FXO (L over R) is still a bit awkward at times.
All in all some good work. I think the best thing here is that I really like practicing these moves so at least there's some basis to believe that they will continue to improve without me having to use all my willpower to get myself to do 'em.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home