Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Turns & Power-3s


Today's lesson was at 7 a.m. as usual, but today instead of Monday due to a trip I took. As usual, nice ice, and 6 or 7 skaters.

Today's lesson:
  • 3s -- Since we are continuing working on basics Sonya wanted to work on forward 3s (I don't have any back 3s at this point... gotta get those sometime). We worked on the hockey circle, first a two foot turn, then LFO3 and RFI3. We worked on getting a better up-down-up and check, and then to hold the entrance for two seconds before turning. Sonya wants me to really work on turning my upper body into the circle more before the turn. Some good progress on these, so we went on to the other direction (two-foot turn, RFO3 and LFI3). A little skiddy on the RFO3. LFI3s are surprisingly not bad (I wouldn't call them good though!).
  • Power-3s -- since we had worked on 3s we went on to work on the Bronze moves power-3s. These are pretty fun! I'd done them before but it had been a while. Sonya reminded me that the lobe with the 3 is supposed to be smaller than the back lobe. We only had time to really do once around on each foot. I'd say my biggest problems with these are placing the 3 waaaay too early (need to hold the entrance edge longer) and tending to step forward to the inside edge instead of outside (i.e. doing a mohawk instead of a choctaw).
We're in the 7 a.m. timeslot next week and the week after, then no Monday lesson (Labor Day), and after the new rink schedule is in we'll move to 7:30 a.m. Monday.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home