Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Basics & Bronze Moves


So today was my first lesson in a loooong time, at 7 a..m. Great ice, and not too crowded at all. As usual for this sort of thing we just started at the basics.

Today's lesson:
  • Stroking -- of course! Not too bad, usual reminders to keep my chin up, bend the knees more. End crossovers weren't too bad (yay!)
  • FXOs & BXOs -- again, need to be down in the knees more on the FXOs. CCW BXOs were kinda scratchy but CW were actually not too bad at all. Sonya reminded me to keep the shoulder pulled back and keep the arms hugging the circle.
  • Russian stroking -- a.k.a. perimeter crossovers. Spent a lot of time on forward to refresh me on the pattern -- need to step to the outside edge at the top of the lobe and then do the FXO. I need more power and to work on holding the extension on the FI edge; also to do the transition to the FXO better. On the back ones, my power push ("bay window" as Kelli calls it) is kind of lacking, I'm not getting all the way over like I need to. I know this pattern a lot better though, and it shows. Still need more power and more confidence.
  • BXOs to landing position -- a quick review of the pattern. Wow, I'm not comfy holding that BO edge right now, I was up on my toes something fierce! Need more power & speed.
Next week I'll be back to lessons with Kelli as well. No jumping/spinning until 8/31.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home