Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

FI8/FO8 & 5-Step Mohawk


After work today I attended the 6:15 p.m. FS for my lesson with Kelli, my first with her since I got back on the ice. Since I had had a lesson with Sonya in the morning it was perhaps not the best timing, but it worked out fine. The ice had some hockey ruts in a few places that were bad, and it was relatively warm (I think it was 54!). Only 6 skaters, so that was nice.

Today's lesson:
  • FI8/FO8 -- since I am not going to be able to take the Figures LTS classes for a while (I'm the only one who signed up :-() I thought it would be good to work on these with Kelli. We worked on regaining my control. Kelli asked me to maintain the position ("stay seated" as she says) until 3/4 of the way around the circle, at which point she wanted me to pass the arms forward at the same time as the free leg. This was a bit different than I'd been doing (previously I'd done the arms first, then the free leg, and I'd started at the 1/2 way point) and it took a while to get it but I did and it did seem to give me a bit better control coming back to the center. The nice part was that my circle size was pretty much spot on.
  • 5-step mohawk -- on to the last of the Bronze Moves to work on. The main thing to work on here was to make the 5 steps have the same timing, which meant for me counting to 3 on each step and to (especially) not rush the first two steps. This is slowly improving. I think the big thing is to not rush in general, take it one step at a time and be somewhat collected in how I go about it. The BO edge and step forward still a bit rough but not too bad.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home