Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Spins, Waltz-Toe, Salchow


Today's lesson was on the 7 a.m. FS (on-ice at 6:45). I was actually awake and alive, which is always good :-). Before my lesson I got Sonya to sign the entrance form for Cactus so I can get it mailed off next week. Today's lesson:

  • Spins -- started with a couple of two-foot spins just for practice. Not too great (I had just done a couple nice ones in warmup, of course) but 3 revs so it'll do. On to work on spins. Sonya reminded me of all the current hot buttons -- bent knee on the entry, bring the free foot in, don't go in too fast. Right now I seem kind of stuck at about two revs, I need to keep the free side up and not give up. Not much progress here.
  • Waltz-toe combo -- just a few of these. They are coming along. Sonya reminded me to hold the check of the waltz jump, and not allow myself to start rotating too early for the toe loop. These are coming along; I need to practice them more.
  • Salchow -- ugh. I just don't have a feel for this jump yet. Sonya walked me through it in a couple of different ways. She also reminded me that I need to keep the free foot back in a "5 o'clock" position before bringing it around/through. Also I was trying to bring the foot straight through and not around and through. I'll have to keep working on it.
After my lesson I was working on spins and got this one that was typical, so I ran and got my camera and took a picture (I borrowed Sonya's marker so you can see):




It's a little hard to see but I came in from the right, hooked the spin, then did one rev, bounced off the toe pick, did another rev and out. Grrr.

Oh, while I was at it I took a picture of Kelli and Sonya:



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home