Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Happy (6th) Skativersary!


So, 6 years ago today, I first put on a pair of skates and set foot on the ice. It's been a long, strange journey from couch potato to aspiring skater. I'm not sure how to organize my thoughts exactly but I'll do the best that I can...

The first thing that comes to mind is an enormous feeling of gratitude. This sport has done so much for me! It's made me healthier, happier, stronger, more confident, and has taught me many valuable lessons -- how to persevere over a long period of time, how to face (and overcome) fear, how to accept my limitations and get over myself and just work on my goals. These are really valuable life lessons for anyone, and I have learned them through skating.

The second thing that comes to mind is the many, many wonderful people I have met. I'm reluctant to name any because there is not room to name them all, but I'll name a few (in no order!) ... first, the homies in Tucson who gave me such friendship and support, people like Nicole, Jose, Tracy, Lisa, Keila, Bri, Dima, the Apodacas, Kas & Tate Racine, Dana, Gail, Marge, the coffee club gang, and of course my wonderful first coach Anna. Then there are the friends I've made along the way, especially the McNabs. Then there are the wonderful friends I've made here in Oregon -- Mary, Amy, Lisa, Lauren, my homegirls Madison, Karly, and Emmy; Molly, Kelsey, Christina, Steffers, Alee, Kayla, Aziza; sk8rmoms Zena, Dot, Deb, coaches Lucy, Krissy, Shannon, Leone, Kristen, Madelyn, and of course my wonderful coaches Kelli and Sonya. Then there are the online skating friends I've made -- too many to mention, but I must mention Janet since she's been so supportive since the very beginning of this blog. Skating is sometimes a lonely thing but the friends you make -- they are the best.

The third thing that comes to mind is how far I've come, of course, and how far I still want to go. Just in the last 14 months or so I did my first competition (PCAS '08), and took the APB Moves test (alas) 3 times. My skating is soooo much improved! I was talking to Sonya about this this morning and we were laughing about how she always likes to talk about how horrible my crossovers were when I first started working with her.

I have a long way to go.... I always joke I would like to get my Axel before I'm 50 and it's only half a joke :-). I really want to get those singles, every one of them. And all the turns, or at least the back 3s and brackets! And an FO Mohawk... those things scare me!

My goals for the next year...
  • pass APB freeskate
  • compete at Cactus
  • maybe one other competition (Sherwood?) or the holiday show
  • pass Bronze moves
I think that's plenty...

Thanks to all that read, and especially those that comment, for your feedback, support, and inspiration. I really appreciate it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home