Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, March 09, 2009

Toe Loop & Salchow


Today's lesson was at 7 a.m. as usual. This is my last lesson with Sonya for a bit as she will be on vacation.

Today's lesson:
  • Toe loop -- working on de-toe-waltzing. We worked on the draw-through at the wall and out on the ice as well. It appears the primary problem I'm having is that I'm not really committing my weight to the toepick. Not much progress but I think I have a better feeling for what I'm supposed to be doing.... so I guess that's something.
  • Salchow -- these are about the same. The entrance is better -- I'm doing a nice check of the 3, which never used to happen, and I'm actually bending the skating leg; but the arms aren't really coming through and the not really jumping. Grrr.
  • Spins -- just a couple minutes at the end. Alas, no good ones today :-(. Sonya did tell me that I need to be sure not to be leaning out of the circle on the windup. Grr.
Sonya told me my homework while she's gone will be to look for music for Cactus in July. We also talked briefly about the possibility of testing in Medford at the end of April in an effort to get the APB Moves test done with. The problem with that is that Sonya's not available for that (it would be an all-weekend thing since Medford is a good 4+ hour drive) so I would have to go by myself (though Sonya says she knows a coach there that could put me on). The test dates coming up are 4/26 and 5/24 and 6/14. If I waited until 5/24 to test (my original plan), I could not retake the Moves test 6/14 since it wouldn't have been the 28 days you have to wait to retest. Hmm.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home