Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, March 02, 2009

Jumps & Spins


Today's lesson was at 7 a.m. as usual:
  • Lunges -- I reminded Sonya that the APB FS test requires a lunge or a spiral. So... we looked at my lunge. L foot, not too bad. Sonya reminded me to keep the head/chin up and chest forward. Main issue is I tend to scrape the toe a bit coming up from the lunge. The R side -- not as bad as I'd feared, mostly just a bit awkward.
  • Spirals -- L side... Sonya says I'm almost at hip height on the leg. Still need to straighten the skating leg a bit more and keep the chin up more. R side... needs work! Free leg is not as high, and the skating leg really needs to straighten more.
  • Half flip -- not too bad. Still need more "jump" in the jump, and I'm not always getting around 180 degrees. Timing has improved though.
  • Salchow -- Sonya had me approach this from a setup similar to waltz jump, i.e. BXOs to back edge, step forward, LFO3. This improved my timing a bit, but then I was tending to not hold the LBI very long so had to fix that. Also worked on the arms a bit. This jump just seems to not make sense to me yet.
  • Spins -- as I expected I didn't get any as good as last Friday, but, not too bad. A couple of solid spins, the last one 2+ revs that were nice solid circles, more-or-less centered.
After my lesson I worked some on toe loop and waltz jump. Waltz jump still trying to improve my timing/coordination of the arms coming through. Toe loop is still mostly a toe waltz. Grr.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home