Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Power Pull Prep & 3s


Today's lesson at 7 a.m. as usual:
  • Slaloms -- these are prep for power pulls. We did them forward and back, on two feet. It's not so much that I'm stiff (though I am), I think I just am a little daunted at really keeping the feet together to do these properly. And of course resisting the tendency to stick the bum out when doing the back slaloms!
  • Waltz-8 -- these are slowly improving. Sonya said the top two issues she saw were the 3s and the back mohawk, still, and the other issues stem from these two. So that led to...
  • 3s -- I've been wanting more work on these, to have more control and better setup. So we worked on skating the hockey circle, doing a leisurely setup and then turn. The main corrections were to really turn the body (including the head) into the circle prior to the turn. I made some good progress but in doing so I reverted to some flailing of the arms and also putting the foot down immediately after the turn. Grrr. These need more work.
  • Spins -- just a few minutes at the end. Sonya chided me on my tendency to look down at the print immediately after the spin, she told me there's plenty of time for that after a nice exit with the head held high :-). I'm getting a good position but not keeping it. We spent some time just skating a LBI and holding the edge with the free foot tucked in and the arms in spin position -- I need to work this more as my discomfort with the position is probably part of the reason I bail so quickly (the other part is fear, of course).
All in all a pretty good lesson. Unfortunately I misplaced my FS punchcard and had to pay cash for the session. Hopefully it's floating around somewhere, but I really don't know where it could be. Grrr.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home