Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Spins, Moves, Jumps Again



We've been having a major cold spell with a few inches of snow, so I had postponed my lesson from yesterday to today; even so it was an adventure getting to the rink. I was on the ice at 7:15 for a 7:30 lesson. The rink was REALLY cold... 32 degrees! Eeep!

Today's lesson:
  • Spins -- we started with these. I had forgotten to do any in my warmup... which must have helped, or something, as I did TWO REVS! Whee! My first time ever. Of course I only did it once, but it did happen... very cool! We did a few more. I'm doing a better job of keeping the free foot in, but I'm still tending to leave my R side behind. More stuff to practice.
  • BO Mohawk -- Back to working on this. It's slowly improving. On the R side, especially, I need to keep the free arm from creeping around on me; need to hold it back after the step forward. On the L side the big thing was to keep the free foot close after I pass the arms through; when I let it extend back I'm up on my toe.
  • Waltz-8 -- just once through, since we had worked on the step forward. Did one complete pattern and it was not too bad. Sonya says it's better but I think it still needs more work. I'm also not happy with the 3s, especially holding the edge after the turn.
  • Forward perimeter XOs -- I had not done these in a lesson in a looonng time, but I had practiced them sometime recently. They actually were not too bad. Sonya wanted me to work to get more power on the underpush. I was actually able to do so, which surprised me. I was going relatively fast for me and doing a better job of controlling it, which made me happy.
  • Back perimeter XOs -- I had done some of these in my warmup. Sonya's really pleased with how these are progressing. I'm getting better/deeper lobes and doing a better job of setting up the BXO so it's better. Yay!
  • Toe loop -- just our last few minutes on this. Sonya had me stepping through it and then trying it slowly. We actually made some progress on it, so that's encouraging. Still not bringing my feet together very well, but it's coming along.
All in all I was really, really happy with this lesson. I felt like I was skating really well and I'm really happy with my progress. Since it's my last lesson for the year, I couldn't ask for a better note on which to go out.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home