Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, March 31, 2008

Spins & Back Russian Stroking


Today's lesson was on the 7 a.m. FS as usual:
  • Back Russian stroking -- (a.k.a. back perimeter XOs) we are continuing with our work on edges and power. We worked on these for about half the lesson. The left side I have a really hard time really straightening the R leg to get the weight really shifted to the L leg, and also having a hard time getting the shoulder pulled back. R side is a bit better. These are really fun, but I have to remind myself not to rush and to take my time on each lobe -- edge/weight shift, shift arms, THEN BXO. There's plenty of time to do it all and I need to work on having deeper lobes. The speed does tend to build up on these!
  • Spins -- we spent almost half the lesson on these and made some good progress, I think. Working always from the windup/step forward. Still not getting more than one rev, but we worked on stepping more back the way I came, getting a better LFO edge on the step forward, and trying to bring the R side along for the ride. Needs a lot more work but compared to a few months ago it's loads better. For one thing it's not at all scary anymore!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home