Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Perseverance


I attended the adult skate today, got about 75 minutes' worth in. Met a new skater, Bill, who is apparently in Wed. night skate school. He said he'd had a lesson from Anna last week (she was subbing) and was very impressed. I told him she was my coach and then I probably ranted and raved about how terrific she is (I tend to do that). It's nice to see more male skaters. You ladies out there have no idea what it's like!

I worked a bunch of stuff -- did my 5 waltz jumps, stroking, FXOs, the 5-step Mohawk, some power-3s. No spins though! Toward the end of the session Nicole asked me how my alt-3s were coming (!) so I showed her, and she demonstrated for me. I was reminded what Anna had told me (that I'd forgotten), that my upper body should be relatively quiet. I actually managed some relatively nice ones that were placed on the top of the lobe! I was happy about that. A good chunk of it is that my setup tended not to be the same for the 3 as for just an edge; my weight placement wasn't as firm on my skate, and my free hip wasn't held quite right. Also, I'm looking down a lot -- gotta stop that. I was really pleased to make a little progress on these. Of course there's still much to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home