Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Moves Test Runthrough


For today's lesson, Anna decided we should run through the APB Moves test in order, more-or-less as if I were doing it for real.
  • perimeter stroking -- Started with the CCW. In some ways, my best effort yet in that I did everything more or less as I should. I was especially happy that I actually got my 3 FXOs on the end pattern placed pretty darn nicely. My extension was sorely, sorely lacking though -- I was just not placing my weight firmly over my skate. I don't know why. I was doing 4 strokes per side. Anna says she wants me to do 6, and to practice it that way. It's good to have enough power to be able to do 4, but she says that the tempo is lacking with 4 and that 6 would give me a better tempo. Next we did the CW, and this was ... not so great. Specifically the end crossovers are poorly placed and I tend to only do 2. Anna said I am tending to place my blade for the first crossover so that I'm turning too much; need to place the blade to go more down-rink and not across, and actually ride the edge for the turn. Duh! I do that for the CCW ones (good side), gotta make it happen CW.
  • edges-- FO: not too bad. Anna said I didn't look comfortable, and it shows in me not getting the free foot fully extended forward with toe pointed. FI: not bad at all (better than FO, how weird is that?). Anna would like me to take more time with the initial "set"; I tend to get all in position (including free foot nicely extended) by the top of the lobe. As Anna said, it's nice to know I can just hold that position for the full half-lobe, but it would be better to take more time. BO: still need to get the free foot in front more, to really sit on the blade, and to look over the darn shoulder (how many times have I heard that one!). Still, not so bad. BI: Not bad at all. Still could use the free foot more in front at the beginning of the lobe, but all in all not too bad.
  • FXOs - ugh! The biggest accomplishment was actually managing to do 4 crossovers (on the bad direction, no less) on the circle. Other than that I need to get a better rhythm and not wait so long between XOs on the CW circle. Still need better extension on the transition.
  • BXOs - I was not too happy, but Anna didn't think they were that bad. On the CW circle, need to really push that heel better on the inside foot (less scratching!). On the CCW circle, Anna wants more toe-point of the free (outside) foot. She said in passing that I tend to think of it as a pump and it really should be more of a push. Hmm. The first time I was doing them, on the 2nd time through on the CCW I caught my edge (left foot) in the ice so that it kind of stuck and I went careening toward the wall. Fortunately I was able to un-stick it and stop, but it certainly got my heart rate up!
  • Alt-3s -- hahahaha. Seriously, we just got to the FO3s (short on time) and while the 3s were not that bad in themselves, what did I hear but what Jenni had told me last night! I am rushing these too much, and the more rushed they are the less controlled they are. It's a vicious circle. I need to work on pacing these more. Anna also said that I need to hold that check better (duh!).
All in all this was a good workout and a good learning experience. On the one hand I think I'm a bit better than I sometimes give myself credit for. On the other hand I definitely experienced that I just don't practice my bad side stuff enough, especially the bad side FXOs. I've got to spend more of my time on that. As for my 3s I really need to think about how I can get them to be less rushed and what can help me feel that.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home