Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Coach Rita Strikes Again


I attended the evening public session today. It was a lot like a freestyle session, actually, since there were a zillion kids having lessons and working through their programs -- last minute prep for the weekend competition. I spent some time on my back edges, trying to cement the feedback I received yesterday. I was really pleased with the improvements in my BO edges. The BI edges, not so much. Trying to improve the rotation and body position is really throwing me. Still, I'm sure it will get better. I also spent some time working on my 3s and crossovers. I even spent some time working on my inside spread eagle, with a little bit of progress.

I was talking with Coach Rita (:-)) and she asked me what was new, so I showed her the Mohawk/cross step/step forward pattern that Anna had showed me yesterday; and we wound up both practicing it for several minutes. It actually improved a bit to where it was not nearly so awkward (though of course requires improvement). CR's was, of course, much better than mine.

For the last 15 minutes or so of the session, Coach Rita worked with me on the waltz jump some more. Anna was telling me to jump higher, not farther; and CR was basically saying something similar; so we spent some time at the boards working on it. After considerable time at the boards we worked it out on the center ice with some improvement. I don't think there's any real conflict between Anna and Coach Rita's approach so for now I'm enjoying getting additional feedback.

Coach Rita actually might have a future in coaching if she continues to skate. She's really quite patient and encouraging, and has good attention to detail. I told her when she's coaching Olympians she has to tell them I was her first student :-).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home