Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

BI Edges And Alt-3s


Tiger asked in a comment:

Do you have any advice on how to do the initial strike on the back inside edges? I can't seem to get enough "push" off the ice (especially with the first one, but all the way through, really).

Also, how are your alternating outside 3s? Mine are killing me - I cannot do the transition (technically a choctaw, right?) without first touching down the free foot.


Hmm. The initial push-off for BI edges IS tricky. What I've seen described (and what I try to do) is: Start with feet together. Pick up right foot and then all at one time make a sort of swizzle or curlicue with the left foot to push off onto the RBI. You're going to turn the right foot in the air while you are balanced on the left foot so that you can push off onto the edge going in the correct direction. When you pick up the left foot you should pick it up in front of the right foot and hold it in the air in front of the right foot. As you do the edge you can swing the left (free) foot back so that it's leading. The other pushes are a lot like you would use for backward stroking, the swizzle-thing with the free foot staying in front. As I wrote, my initial pushoff is still kind of stinky but the other pushes are okay. I actually do these with a little speed, which I find encouraging. Also, I've noticed in general that a lot of times when I have trouble getting push it's because I'm kind of lunging onto the new foot, i.e. I'm stepping too wide and/or transferring my weight too slowly or too soon.

As for the alternating 3s.... yes, the step forward on these is a Choctaw, either BI-FO (the hard one) or BO-FI (easier). The BI-FO is harder because you have to turn from the circle you are facing into a new circle. On the BO-FI you are already facing the new circle so it's easier. I still cannot do these, either, although I think I'll have the BO-FI soon. On the BI-FO, my coach suggested I overcheck the turn and stay in that position. So far that hasn't helped me much. I do hope that as I control the BI edge better and better that it will get easier. What I'm actually sensing on these is two things -- 1) if the turn is placed correctly at the TOP of the lobe it is easier (I tend to place it early, not surprising I suppose) to control the edge, and 2) I tend to have my weight a bit too far forward on my blade to be able to do the step forward. Generally speaking you need to have your weight toward the back of your blade to do any step forward and I can't seem to shift my weight back on the turn exit (yet).

That's what I can tell you. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home