Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Saturday Zoo


I finally dragged my butt to yoga class today, the first time in months. It was a good workout! Afterward I went to skate the public session. It was medium-crowded. Although the Apodacas were not there (:-(), I did get to see a number of my other skating buddies. All told I had about 2.5 hours of skating.

I decided today to work on transitions, that is, linking different things. I spent some time working on stepping forward out of the spin exit, with some success by the end of the day -- this is RBO to LFI. I also spent some more time on stepping forward out of the BI edge from the FO3, but while I was able to do so it was pretty much at a 90-degree angle. Still, it's better than nothing.

I also spent some time working on the spin entrance from crossovers, and I did manage it 3 or 4 times; again, that's definitely progress. This is mostly stepping forward after slowing to a crawl, though!

I made a couple of new acquaintances today -- the first is a girl named Negin who I'd seen skating before. She's fairly good -- she owns a really nice, fast scratch spin (it does travel a bit, though). She said she skated a lot as a kid (I'd say she's late teens or so), but doesn't have time to skate regularly anymore. It's too bad. The other is Chrissy, who says she's been skating for 4 years but she's still in rental skates (the horrible new blue plastic ones, too). I had some fun teaching her some stuff -- worked on a snowplow stop with her (why doesn't anyone learn to stop?!), and some edges. Probably the best accomplishment was getting her on an LFO edge for the first time -- she seemed pretty excited about it.

All in all it was a good skate. Coming after yoga is always good because I feel very warmed-up and loose. Alas, yoga and me are not doing well for the next few weeks, as I have various things getting scheduled at that time. Grr!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home