Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Perseverance


I attended the adult skate today, but got there a bit late so only an hour's worth of skating.

I worked on two things in particular today -- first, 3-turns. In particular I tried working something that Anna had me do in a lesson once, namely, do an edge lobe on one foot, then do a lobe on the other foot with a 3-turn. Anna had me doing this on FI3s but I worked it on FO3s because I'm still trying to get the darn back Choctaw (or, at this point, any kind of step forward). This is a good exercise, I think, first because it's more like the actual test and second because it puts the 3-turn in not so isolated a context. However, I realized that I am facing forward (or is that backward?) after the turn (i.e. my hips are square), which is why I can't do a good job of stepping forward.

This revelation led me to the second thing, BI edges. I had worked them a bit anyway before I worked on the 3s, but working on the 3s reminded me that I need to look at my position in the BI edges coming back to the line. Sure enough, I have the same problem there. Theoretically I should be able to do an exercise where I just do a BI edge and then a step forward, but it's not happening in that context. This is interesting since I can do the step forward on the circle. Somehow in the BI edges I'm getting my body all squared up coming back to the line and I'm in no position to do a step forward; this also shows itself in my hands coming almost parallel to the line when it should be perpendicular (and I should be looking over my shoulder).

Anyway, if I remember I'll ask Anna about this tomorrow. Something I definitely need to fix both for the BI edges and the 3s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home