Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Skating Music


I've been working on a CD of skating music -- actually, 3 CDs. I thought I'd do one of what I'd call "classic vocal" skating music, one of "classic instrumental", and then a "rock/pop" one. The first two would be to play at adult skate when I have the chance to play my own music; the second one would be for those rare occasions when I have the place to myself and I can be more... raucous. I'd combine the first two but my experiences so far with trying to mix vocals and instrumentals is that it doesn't work well as far as equalization and perceived loudness.

Anyway, one of the questions that comes up is how to arrange a particular set of songs for the best effect. Here's what I've come up with so far for my "classic vocals" (which are not necessarily "classical", just not rock):
  • Pie Jesu -- Charlotte Church
  • Beauty and the Beast -- Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson (Beauty and the Beast soundtrack)
  • Oceano -- Josh Groban
  • I Hear Bells -- Starting Here, Starting Now soundtrack
  • The Prayer -- Josh Groban & Charlotte Church
  • At The Beginning -- Donna Lewis & Richard Marx (Anastasia soundtrack)
  • In Trutina -- Charlotte Church
  • To Where You Are -- Josh Groban
  • Simple Things -- Jim Brickman & Rebecca Lynn Howard
  • With You -- Pippin soundtrack
  • Green Finch and Linnet Bird -- Sweeney Todd soundtrack
  • Journey to the Past -- Liz Callaway (Anastasia soundtrack)
  • All I Ask of You -- Phantom of the Opera soundtrack

All told about 45 minutes of music. I was also thinking about adding the ever-popular Nessun Dorma (Pavarotti). My reasoning on arranging the tracks as they are is a desire for variety of tempo -- I divided them into about 9 "slow" songs and 4 "fast" songs, so I did it slow-slow-fast (x 4). I'd welcome some feedback either by email or in the comment box!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home