Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, October 11, 2004

Campbell's Classic


I got to watch my tape of Sunday morning's broadcast of the Campbell's Classic. Wow! First, it was great to see Kimmie Meissner come out and skate such a great program. It was awesome to watch. Second, what more can you say about Michelle Kwan? 20 seconds into her program, Peggy Fleming was saying, "I like this program already," and I have to agree. My all-time favorite MK program is still 2003's Aranjuez, but this Bolero program is a close second.

The things I like about this program are myriad, but two things stand out in particular. First, the influence of Christopher Dean on the footwork and general moves is really neat to watch, it's different, graceful, fluid. Second, the program just builds and Builds and BUILDS and BUILDS. It's a great melding of choreography, music, and MK's persona and mystique. The end result is this steamroller of a program that just bowls over everything in its path. I predict that if she can fix some of the small things that were wrong, she's going to have a good season. If she can add a triple-triple, it's going to be a great season. Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home