Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, September 20, 2004

Mo' 'Hawks


For today's lesson we started with a quick round of perimeter stroking. Anna seemed pleased and said I'm getting my weight placement over the pushing foot better.

Next we went to looking at forward crossovers. Anna says she wants to work on eliminating my toe-pushing from the crossed-under foot. She had me work on lifting the free hip more and then lifting the crossed-under foot straight off the ice (parallel, in a flexed position). I found this very hard, and maybe a little confusing too. I mean, I understand what we are trying to accomplish, it just seems almost like I'm undoing some good stuff in order to fix this. I guess that's the way it goes for now, though.

We went on to look at Mohawks on the circle. First we looked at RFI-LBI, and then LFI-RBI. Anna was pleased with these, but said I need to be sure on the BI not to step wide, but keep my feet close together. On the FI I need to keep my feet closer together also, and get turned into the circle better. We spent quite a bit of time on this. We also worked on the BO Mohawks and I managed a few RBO Mos but Anna asked me to do the rotation "skinny", i.e. scissoring the arms, and I found myself in the same "don't want to turn the head" territory I always seem to be in. I wish I had some easy, simple way to fix that.

We spent the last 5 minutes or so prepping the waltz jump some more, working on the walkthrough. I am having a hard time getting my timing together on this so that the arms and the free leg come up together, and that the free leg is out in the correct position and not tucked back. We worked a bit on just getting into that position and holding it; then we moved to trying to do the full walkthrough. Next we looked at just doing the double bunny hop thing from the jump position, but I kept having a very small jump and coming down on the flat -- dangerous and not good. With that we were out of time.

We have another lesson tomorrow at adult session (makeup from Friday) so we'll see what's in store for that...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home