Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Tale Of Two Sessions


I had a two-fer today, I attended the adult session and then also the evening public session. I'm really tired!

I went to the adult session since I didn't get to skate yesterday, and I wanted some of that aforementioned quality skating time. The ice was beautiful, the session was not too crowded, and I worked extensively on back edges as well as crossovers, including the Russian stroking. It was a good skate. I met a couple of new skaters, Norma and Jek (sp?). Norma is from Mexico City and has kids in skate school; she's not a bad skater herself. She apparently only skates on Wednesdays which is why I've not seen her before. Jek is just learning (she's taking the adult class that is Wednesdays before the adult session) and seems very nice. She practices diligently... it reminds me of me!

The evening public session normally runs 6:30 - 8:30, however, there had been a sign up since last week saying it would be 7 - 8:30 today. When I got there, however, they were still playing hockey and I was told it would be 7:30 - 9:30. "Whatever!" as my nieces used to say. So I got on the ice at 7:30 and skated until about 9:20, with a short break, so about 1 hr 45 min of skating. That said, though, the ice was dreadful. While they did Zamboni after the hockey game, there were so many gouges and pits in the ice, it was just scary. That left me lacking in enthusiasm for a lot of stuff. In the end, I wound up working quite a bit of stuff, especially because it mostly cleared out after 8:30 anyway. I worked back edges some more (mostly BO), spins a bit (got a really nice almost 3-rev 1-foot spin!), and more Russian stroking.

I got to meet another skater, a girl named Eva. She appears to be a teenager, and says she's in FS 3/4. I'd seen her skate before.

The "prize" for tonight was that between the uncrowded conditions and the horrible ice I decided I was going to really work on my RBI Mohawk. I worked on it at the boards a bit, then worked on it on the circle, doing the LFI Mohawk --> RBI Mohawk combo (instead of stepping and doing an LBO Mo as I had been doing). I did a whole slew of these until they got... not comfortable, but at least not so daunting. They are still a little scary; for some reason turning and stepping in that direction is just a bit unnerving. Still, I did enough of them that I'm confident I can come back to them on Friday and work 'em up a bit. So I was really pleased to have gotten something to show for the evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home