Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, September 06, 2004

Sharp Skates


I picked up my skates from the sharpener today, then proceeded to coffee club. The sharpener says he likes working on my skates because although they get dull, there are very few nicks on them (I think there were two, both on the same blade). He showed me, for comparison, another pair of skates he was working on. Even I could see how badly dented and nicked they were. Sheesh!

I had a good skate at coffee club. The ice was beautiful and it was relatively uncrowded (10 people). It's interesting how 10 people on a freestyle session would feel crowded to me, but at coffee club it's nothing. I guess it's a function of what people are doing.

I managed to work through sharp-skates syndrome and got a pretty good practice in. No breakthroughs, although I got some really nice spins. Worked Mohawks and 3-turns, and also a bit of work on my spiral. I did this close enough to the boards to be able to see myself. Interestingly enough, the leg is getting higher -- the real sticking point is the torso. Even when I feel like it's really low, it's not that low. I'll keep working on it.

I am off today, which has been very nice. After I do some more chores I'm heading back to the rink so I can have a nice leisurely warmup before my 5 p.m. lesson. It's so nice to have time like this. Working sure gets in the way of my skating! :-)

The schedule for the holiday show practices came out, and there are apparently 4 of us for the adult group. We have five 45-minute practices, Tuesdays from 6:55 to 7:40 p.m. They start the last week of October, with a break the week of Thanksgiving. I'm really looking forward to it, just hope I do well.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home