Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, August 30, 2004

Forward Skating


For today's lesson we focused mostly on forward skating...

Perimeter stroking-- I need to get my weight firmly over the skating side, and delay setting the new skating foot down a little more. Need to get better push/extend/follow through from the stroking foot. End crossovers are a little better but still need to be sure to prepare properly and to stay turned into the circle throughout the end pattern.

Crossovers-- worked on staying turned into the circle, and keeping the trailing hand/arm up. Anna skated behind me and held my hand/arm up as high as it should be -- feels ridiculously high, but there it is. Now that I know that I can aim for it. Still need to stay down in my knees more.

Forward edges-- For the FO edges, I'm having a problem doing the "scissoring" arms correctly. I tend to scissor the skating arm correctly but the trailing arm tends to just rotate. I thought I had this down, so it's disturbing to see something wrong with these now. Grr. For the FI, the same problem and in addition I need to work harder still on getting over the skating foot and not letting the free side drag me inside the circle.

We also spent a little time talking through waltz jump preparation, and practiced the waltz jump entrance again. The rhythm/timing is important; need to swing the arms forward along with the free leg and at the same time that you dig the toe pick in and jump. Anna also suggested trying just a little hop straight off the toe pick, back on to the same toepick and push onto the opposite foot.

This was the first time in this new 5 p.m. Monday timeslot. I warmed up on the public ice for 20 minutes before -- it was very uncrowded (just me and another figure skater). The 5 p.m. freestyle was a bit crowded though -- 11 people. Still, it was workable.

I left feeling a bit frustrated with myself. I have been working on some of these things (crossovers in particular)for a long time now, really, and I really am frustrated that I have not improved more. Granted, I am at least a lot more comfortable with them, and that is certainly something. It is just that I see in my mind's eye what they should be but I can't yet make that happen. *sigh*

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home