Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, September 19, 2004

A Good Coach Is A Godsend


Over on the rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational newsgroup we've been having a discussion on coaches. I thought I'd post my contribution below. My interlocutor, "johns", can be rather annoying and seems to have alienated everyone at his rink, which is in Idaho I believe. It makes me glad, once again, to have such a great coach. I'm really blessed.

"johns" wrote in message news:...
> I saw Coachy today. Apparently we aren't speaking
> again :-) I don't work well with coaches. I try to make
> friends out of them first, and then I "might" listen to
> one of them. I'm just not going to work year in and
> year out with someone who simply has no interest in
> me beyond a $-bill.

Wow. That is so NOT my coach. I don't know how or why you approach
this stuff so differently from me and everyone else I know.

My coach is a professional. She's tested up through Senior MITF and
Junior freestyle, not to mention placing 5th or 6th (can't remember)
at Jr. Nationals in ice dance. But beyond the fact she's a good
skater herself, she's a damn good coach and is able to teach what she
knows in ways I understand.

That said, while I adore her, she is not my "friend". She's my
coach. We certainly have a good, and friendly, working relationship,
but *she's my coach*. She speaks, I listen, I respond. She pushes,
she cajoles, she encourages. I whine (occasionally), I complain
(sometimes), I work hard. We accomplish things -- together. We are a
team, because I can't do this stuff myself.

I'm really grateful for her and I think the world of her, and I know
that while it certainly is a "business" relationship (she's not doing
this for free), it's not just about money. She is generous with her
time and her talent. She doesn't ding me in on the clock and *ding*
out 30 minutes later. She gives me what I've paid for, and often just
a little more. She also expects that for my part I will work hard and
listen to what she says. It's give and take. She's my coach and I'm
one of her students.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home