Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, September 17, 2004

Perseverance


I normally have a lesson on Fridays, but Anna was out sick with a cold, so no lesson today. Instead I skated at the adult session. As (almost) always, a good session, not too crowded and nice ice. I worked on practically everything, but focused especially on those darn back edges, crossovers, and working the FI-BI Mohawk combo.

The BO edges are improving slightly (slightly), they are a little less awkward and a little more controlled. Still, I can tell that they are going to take a long time. The BI edges -- sheesh. I can't get a good push-off onto the BI edge to begin with, and that's the biggest issue.

The crossovers are improving slowly. The LFI - RBI Mohawk combo is still a bit scary. I had to go back and try the RBI Mohawk at the boards again a couple of times, then I was able to do it. It still feels weird though!

Back a few months ago I was convinced that the limiting factor on the APB moves test for me would be the alternating 3s. I've been working them, and they are still an issue; but now I'm thinking maybe it's the back edges that are going to be the real issue. It's taken me months just to get this far! Still, there's nothing for it but to learn this stuff. The ironic thing (at least it seems ironic to me) is that I'm starting to understand that the freestyle stuff really is easier (in some ways) than the moves. The precision and control for the moves is very daunting, and while freestyle isn't a picnic, it seems to have a bit more room for maneuver in many respects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home