Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, September 27, 2004

Crossrolls Etc.


For today's lesson we started with perimeter stroking, CW direction first and then CCW. Anna says my extension is looking good, but I need to hold it. Sometimes I really get in the groove and it's good, so I just need to make that happen all the time.

Next we went to forward crossovers on the hockey circle. On the CW ones I am leaning too much into the circle, or perhaps a better way of saying it is I'm dropping the inside side too much. I need to remember I don't really need to "lean" so much as "bend the knees"!... For both sides I (still) need to either hold the extension or stroke more. It got a little scary at times (too much speed!) and Anna said, "You need to get used to that speed, because that's what the power you've got is going to give you. It's not like you're {6 year old skater on other end of rink}." Of course she's right. She also pointed out that I need to keep my weight over my ankles, not my toes, so I don't catch a toepick. And of course there was the cry, "It's not supposed to be comfortable!" -- referring to keeping that back arm high. I have worked on these a lot but sometimes I feel like I'm making no progress at all. *sigh*

We left those and Anna taught me how to do crossrolls. A crossroll is basically the same as a swingroll, except that when you come back to the axis, instead of just stepping onto the new edge you cross your feet and then step on the edge from the crossed position. We worked them a little bit to get me the idea, then Anna said I had enough to work on for myself so we moved on.

Next up we did forward edges; Anna just wanted a look since we'd not looked at them in quite a while. She was more-or-less pleased with the FO edges. On the FI edges she said the stuff I already was aware of, that I need to keep that free side up, especially on the RFI edge. Also on the FI edges I need to bring the foot through a little more cleanly and get a better "set" of the edge. She was pleased that I just go through and do 'em without stopping now, I can just do them down the line and though they still need improvement they at least look like I know the pattern well.

We finished up looking at the FO3s and working toward doing them as in the test pattern. Anna told me I need to start doing them with my arms set as if to do edges, and not from a straight out position anymore. She also wanted me to start doing the rotation "skinny", i.e. arms scissored around. Fortunately I've been practicing them that way for a few days so it wasn't a big deal. I talked to her about the leg extension on the exit edge and she said if that helps me do them better it's fine, but it's not really necessary. We worked through them a few times. The LFO3 is not too bad. The RFO3 we worked on a bit; Anna wanted me to start the lobe heading straight out from the axis -- she says I need to ride the edge more. I tried it that way and got a really good RFO3. And with that we were out of time.

Another good lesson; I was really happy with my progress. Obviously there's plenty to be worked on. We have another lesson tomorrow (makeup for Friday), so I won't have time to practice (other than my warmup) before that one.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home