Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, July 07, 2003

Perseverance


I went to tonight's public session at Gateway. I got there right as the Zamboni was finishing up. I love fresh ice! I skated for about an hour and a half. I spent a good half hour to 45 minutes just working through stuff I already know -- for some reason I felt a little unsure and unsteady. I don't know if it's just trying to adjust to home ice again, or what. I have to say that for sheer surface, the ice at Gateway is generally pretty darn nice. I can't (usually) complain about that too much. The session was not too crowded but there were three obnoxious hockey boys doing the usual sorts of antics. In my uncharitable moments I really wish I could make toepicks magically appear on their skates.

After I finally felt a bit more warmed up and okay, I spent a good chunk of time working on the 1-foot glide again. I made a little bit of progress. In particular I worked on my right foot some, which I had previously pretty much stayed away from. I was able to briefly skate straight on my right foot, and with only a small curve on my left. I count this as progress; but I still have to keep slogging through and wait for my Eureka moment on this. I'll be really glad when I get this, it's coming hard.

I checked the Gateway website this afternoon and noticed that the July/August skate school schedule is up. Apparently the instructor for Adult 1/2 is Glenn. Skater mom Danni said that no one showed up for that class last week, so I guess I will have him to myself. She said he's pretty good. I guess I'll find out for myself on Wednesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home