Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, June 04, 2011

Footwork


I had a lesson this morning with "special guest star" Sonya at WSC, while I'm here in Oregon.  Per JJ's request we worked on improving the speed of my footwork.  This was on the 6:45 a.m. FS at WSC.  Ice was not so great and there were like 18 people there!  I got to see Amber, and also Madison and her mom! YAY!

We first worked on the 2nd half footwork, the FXO-Mohawk-slidesteps-BXOs-landing position.  We spent some time just on the mohawk, making it less hoppy.  We reviewed inside spread eagle (which I can't really do just yet) to get me more comfy with the idea of having both feet on the ice at the same time.  Sonya says I'm leaning a bit out of the circle after the change of feet so that needs to be fixed.  Then we worked on the slide steps, getting me to bend my knees more and have a little push on them, and a little push into the landing position as well.  It helps.

Next we worked on the first part, to get the FI edges more swoopy (bend knees) and then get the power weight shifts to be more authoritative/committed.  I think we made some progress.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home