Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Return Of The Half Flip


My freestyle lesson with JJ on the 9 a.m. FS at Gilbert.  There were about 8 skaters on this session.

Today's lesson was just a chance to refine the choreography for the first half of the program, and work on the second half.  Skate buddy Melissa had mentioned to me that she had a half flip in her program and it occurred to me that that would be more interesting footwork than what I currently have in the first half of the program, so I mentioned it to JJ ("I'm going to regret suggesting this!") and we agreed it was a good change.  So in place of the two cross steps I'll do the half flip with the RFI mohawk.  Not sure whee the side toe hop fits in here, I will have to ask JJ.

We then worked on the 2nd half of the program.  From what I'm calling the "punch-punch-punch-booge!" it goes:
  • BXO
  • Back inside mohawk
  • "something" #1
  • at the middle circle...CCW FXO
  • RFI mohawk
  • L slide step
  • R slide step
  • 2 BXOs
  • BO edge/landing position glide
  • "more something"
I'm suspecting "something" #1 should probably be a toe loop, and the "more something" will probably wind up as waltz-sal sequence, step forward, spin, some closing pose.

After my lesson I skated for another 45 minutes and worked on some of these things, in particular the half flip, and trying to do a waltz jump straight out of the landing position. Some progress.

After my lesson I got to say hi to skate buddies Megan and Caitlin who were hanging out at the public skate today.  I hadn't seen Caitlin in forever.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home