Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Footwork

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.  I only was able to skate the one session due to a work commitment.

Today's lesson:
  • directions -- I talked with JJ about my goals for the next 5 months or so (now until Cactus in July) and the two big things are the new program and Bronze moves.  The common thread for me at this point, and my takeaway from this most recent competition specifically, is that I want to improve my turns and footwork.  While there is plenty of improvement in my jump and (especially) spins, I think that in terms of improving my competition results I can improve my placements most by having better/stronger/more confident footwork.
  • turnout -- JJ gave me some exercises to do that will help me improve my turnout, which should make it possible to do things like spread eagles etc.  One of them is to lie flat on the floor on my stomach (JJ suggested putting a weight on my butt to assist gravity).  Another one is to stand in a doorway and put my feet turned out and lean into the doorway.
  • mohawks -- we spent some more time working on mohawks, to get them smoother.  JJ gave me an exercise of skating down a line, do an RFI mohawk on the R side of the line, change feet to the L side of the line, step forward.  He wanted me to do them pretty much straight out, or just on a very small curve.
And that was all we had time for!  JJ will be out of town, and I will be changing out my boots starting tomorrow, so no freestyle skating for me until I get my new boots late next week!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home