Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Test Prep

I had a make-up lesson with JJ tonight at the 5:10 FS at Gilbert since I was sick last week and didn't get a lesson.  As usual, good ice (there's a Z-break right before this session) but pretty crowded, I counted something like 16 kids and 6 coaches.

Today's lesson:
  • Toe loop -- just a little time on these, I mentioned my epiphany on these to JJ (don't reach and pick, just pick) and he expounded on that and gave me a little practice routine for it.  He emphasized staying upright and not leaning.  The practice is just to make the "L" with the feet, turn and jump.  Scary!  Oh well.
  • Salchow -- I did a couple that JJ said were pretty good but he wanted more "jump."  I finally figured out I need to bend my knee *before* the 3 and keep it bent... and then I actually got a little height on this!  Woo hoo, that's the first time that's ever happened!
  • Waltz jump - JJ still wants me to hold the FO edge before the jump and I have a hard time with that.  So we broke it down to just skating from a T-position and holding the edge and then jumping.  I figured out if I use that time to think about bending my skating knee more (and, as JJ reminds me, hold the skating shoulder forward) then it distracts me and I actually did some okay jumps.  Good stuff.
  • Spins -- just a few of these.  After a few I actually got a couple where I had a good soft, bent knee going in and straightened up correctly.  JJ added to that to get the hands out in front (and keep them there) and to keep the free hip up when I bring the free leg in after I hook the spin.  Some improvement here.  Hmm.
  • Two-foot spin -- JJ still wants me to have more of a windup, which kinda throws me off.  I did some decent ones though.  JJ reminded me to keep the hands up, not drop them.
  • Lunge -- several of these.  JJ really wants me to have that skating leg parallel to the ice.  "all the way down!" eep.
That's all we had time for.  We have another lesson in the morning so presumably we will go over spins again and the XOs at least.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home