Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mohawks & Program Cleanup

I had another lesson this morning with Sonya, on the 6 a.m. FS at Sherwood.  The session started slightly late due to an ice cut (woohoo).  The ice was just gorgeous.... Sherwood skaters are so spoiled/lucky!  It's been a long day so I may not remember all the details from today :-(.  I had a good warmup including landing both salchows I attempted, yay!

Today's lesson:
  • toe loop -- just a little bit on this to try to improve it.
  • mohawk sequence -- we reviewed from last night and expanded on it.  Sonya noted that part of my issue is that I'm tending to not do these mohawks from an inside edge but more of a flat.  She had me work to consciously step to an inside edge, hold the edge briefly and then do the mohawk and hold the BI edge briefly.  It makes the whole thing a lot curvier but also takes longer.  We worked on starting the sequence from the waltz jump landing.
  • misc program cleanup -- we ran the program a couple of times with music and parts of it several times.  Sonya noted (again) that I need to especially hold my head up (chin up) in the 2-foot spin and pivot and on the push.  She also noted that I really need to hold some tension in my free leg on each of the 1-foot glides.  I confess I've been so concerned about the free arm and general upper body position I wasn't thinking about the free leg much.  Sonya also suggested starting the program about another 10 feet down ice than I have been to give me more room to skate faster :-).
All in all we really packed a lot into 30 minutes worth of lesson :-).

I had so much fun this morning! All my fave homegirls were there -- Karly, Emmy, Madison and Kayla (and of course Sonya lol!).  It was just a blast to be out there working hard w/my friends.... they are all so amazing!  It was inspiring :-), even at 6 a.m. :-).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home