Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Back In The Saddle Again

Today was my first freestyle session since Cactus.  It was good to be back at Gilbert for an a.m. freestyle and feel... like a skater.  I did enjoy catching up on sleep and getting some rest though!

Today's lesson:
  • Program debrief -- we briefly talked about Cactus and feedback I received from Sonya and Kelli and others on my program.  Sonya's feedback was that she noticed I tend to push mostly with my right foot.  Kelli's feedback was "no more scooter pushes!"  :-).  JJ asked what I would like to work on and I told him I would like to work on solidifying/fixing my spins and jumps (salchow and toe loop) and learn some small moves.
  • Spread eagle --  the first 'small move' I wanted to work on.  Just *inside* spread eagles for now!  I think we have looked at these before very briefly but we spent about 5 minutes or so working on them on the boards and then a little bit on the ice.  The key seems to be to really bend my knees (as JJ said, "for now").  I think these will take a while to show up and I will need to be a little brave and persist and keep working on them.
  • Mohawks -- I told JJ that I was concerned in watching the video how rough my mohawks are, so we spent some time on it.  JJ had me work to keep my head up and not look down and to allow the turn to happen.  The RFI is much better than the LFI.  Again I'll just need to work these more.
  • Spins -- really the usual.  I did get a couple of pretty good ones.  JJ reminded me to keep my trailing arm high in the windup and not let it droop.
And that's all we had time for!  I didn't stay for a second session today as I needed to get home and pack for my trip.  Tomorrow I'll be in Portland getting ready for the figures competition.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home