Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Waltz-8 & 3-Turn Pattern


Today's lesson with Leone was on the 8:15 FS like last week. As usual for this session, great ice and great conditions.

Today's lesson:
  • Waltz-8 -- we spent some 20 minutes on this. Leone suggested I start with my arms in more of an "L" shape, with my free hand further forward than I'm accustomed to (now that I think about it I think both Kelli and Sonya have suggested this to me at various times also). We worked a lot on the back edge and the step forward. Key points were 1) try to keep the free leg in front at the beginning of the back edge, and 2) on the step forward, bring the free leg further in (to the instep, not the heel) to step on it. These two corrections made a world of difference! Keeping the free leg in front made me slow down, hold the edge longer, and kept me off my toe somewhat. I'm pretty sure I've tried to do this in the past but I think the progress I've made recently made it more feasible and easier. Bringing the free foot to the instep for the step forward keeps me from wide-stepping and also makes it easier to actually step onto an FO edge (instead of an FI that I then forced to an FO). Some good improvements that I need to reinforce ASAP :-).
  • 3-turn pattern -- we worked mostly on the LFI3 side (my less-happy side :-)). We spent most of our time working on the back lobe, although we did take some time on trying to hold the FO edge a bit longer (it's getting better). On the back lobe, pretty much the same corrections I've had from Sonya except that I'm trying to take my learning on the step forward from Waltz-8 and apply it here too, with mixed results. I can do these pretty well if I concentrate. Leone said that my last time through was much better, in particular I was more deliberate and less rushed. That's progress!
One more lesson with Leone next week, and then Sonya and Kelli should be back.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home