Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, November 03, 2008

YAMR


That's Yet Another Moves Runthrough. I was on the ice at 6:40 to warmup, then when lesson time came we did our runthrough with Sonya at the boards just like for the test. She gave me feedback after the runthrough that I'll give after each element.
  • Stroking -- CCW first, then CW. I was relatively calm about this. Sonya thinks my CW FXOs are too slow and need better flow. I'm reluctant to do them faster even though it probably would help and really, more speed shouldn't be scary.
  • Edges -- Okay. Sonya thought my F edges were kind of small. I was more focused on trying to remember to bring my free leg in after the push, which I did. Back were okay although my BI lobes were a bit inconsistent in size.
  • XOs -- F were not as slow as they have been, so that's good. They are still quite slow though! BXOs -- Sonya's concerned about the transition between lobes, I'm tending to be up on my toes too much and too square. She did say they have improved a lot from the last test.
  • Waltz-8 -- hmmph. The first time on the L side was really bad, had a bad step forward and no push so I couldn't make it back to center, so I wound up pushing into the next lobe from like 3 feet before the center. Bleah! It went better after that, but it was not great.
  • 3-turn pattern -- Actually, not bad. Sonya felt my L side was actually better than the R in that I'm not doing a very good BXO on the R side. My take was that I'm doing a better weight shift on the R side than the left but for some reason a better BXO on L than R. Grrr.
It took me 20 minutes to do the runthrough, even with a couple of delays due to traffic and a little longer in-between than I will get in real life. I was really pleased because even though I was a bit nervous (and it's not even the real test!) I was not nearly so winded as I have been in the past! YAY! I was so happy about that. I was tired, yes, but not "OMG I want to die!" like I have been. So I guess my workouts and other prep are helping.

After the runthrough Sonya had me reskate the Waltz-8 and it was much better. I never thought this was my weakest move but it seems like it is. I'm really inconsistent.

All in all a great runthrough. The test is in two weeks!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home