Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, May 05, 2008

Edges, BXOs, Spins


Today's lesson on the 7 a.m. FS as usual:
  • Forward edges -- I was working on these just before the lesson, of course. Sonya just wanted a better push and a more authoritative skate.
  • BO edges -- we worked mostly on the pushoff. I can do it well but I need to be more consistent about it. Still working to keep the free foot in front on the first part of the lobe. Sonya wants me to practice just vanilla backward stroking (free foot in front, my nemesis!) to help with this.
  • BXOs -- revisiting these from last week. Sonya had me skate the test pattern. The first circle of the 'good' side (CW) wasn't bad but the other side was horrid, and the second time CW wasn't too good either. The problem (esp. on CCW) is that tend to push straight back instead of to the side. Need to work on turning the crossing foot in better and (just like on the FXOs) to hold the crossed position.
  • Spins -- just 5 minutes or so on these. The windup is looking good (need to remember to look firmly back though), so we worked mostly on bending the knee on the step forward and being sure to bring the hands together. Also need to work more on stepping back the way I came.
Sonya will be gone for a week or so later this month so we are going to need to skip a lesson and reschedule for the week after that. Sonya said the rink summer schedule should start mid-June (maybe 6/16) so my lesson will move to 7 a.m. at that time.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home