Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Spins


Today's lesson was on the 8:15 FS as usual. Just two of us on the ice and one coach. Yay!

Before my lesson, I showed Sonya the print from a waltz jump I'd done. I'm coming much straighter off the pick now. Sonya said it looked good.

Today's lesson:
  • LFI3 -- as promised, we spent some time on these, and a good thing too. They still stink! Not sure what kind of progress I can lay claim to, but we'll keep working on it.
  • spins -- A bit over half the lesson on these. I'm actually getting closer. We fixed a number of issues (at least, fixed for now!) including needing to keep the upper body straight. I'm getting onto my toe and hitting my toepick, though, so I'm not even getting one rev. yet. Key input from Sonya was to think about bending the knee even more in the curve into the spin. She had me work on trying not to pop up so quickly once the spin starts; that's one reason I'm getting on my toe. Also, trying to feel like standing on the ball of the foot (or perhaps I need to think it further back) and bring the free leg in and hold it close. Also she said I'm tending to get into a twisted position. Despite all this I really did make some progress, though!
Sonya now is sporting a bright pink cast on her hand, but she said she will get it off in 3 weeks or so. She seems to be taking it pretty well, at least it appears so. It certainly didn't seem to affect her teaching at all!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home