Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

3Turn-A-Ganza


Today's lesson was on the 8:15 FS as usual, however, the zamboni had an issue before the session so the ice was only half-resurfaced; it was discouraging.

Today's lesson:
  • FO3s -- we worked mostly the RFO3. I've gotten kind of sloppy on these so we fixed a lot of stuff; particularly getting better rotation *before* the turn (instead of during the turn!), better knee bend and setting a better FO edge when starting. We also worked on getting improved control.
  • Power-3s -- I love these. I'm placing the 3 waaay too early in the lobe. Besides that, Sonya told me I need to think more about progressing down the ice; for example on the BXO, don't think so much about going to the boards as going down the ice (which makes it easier). I think I also need to lighten up on these; I tend to get a somewhat frantic pace going on them and that's not what it's about -- for example, starting a new 3-turn lobe, rather than rush the turn I should just sit a bit and take my time to get in position; there's plenty of time and no need to rush. Sonya also said it wouldn't hurt to practice the back Russian stroking to work the back lobe stuff.
  • 5-step mohawk -- just a quick 5 minutes or so on these. Sonya had me working the steps on the hockey circle instead of in lobes, which was interesting but made it hard for me to remember the steps! Sonya emphasized keeping the feet close in this move and avoiding wide-stepping or "squatting".
I was feeling a little off when we started but it was a pretty good lesson anyway... yay!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home