Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Jumps & Spins


Today's lesson was on the 8:15 FS (our usual time slot). I was running late to the rink (traffic was horrible) so I didn't get to do my off-ice warmup as I usually would.

Today's lesson:
  • half-flip -- I had wanted to come back to this since lately when I've tried to practice it on-ice I wind up just doing the jump-up but no turn! Anyway we made some good progress so I can actual jump and turn, but I'm still not landing correctly; either landing on two feet, or on the right foot. The mohawk entry is looking pretty good though.
  • spins -- worked on this just from the step forward. Sonya reminded me to set a good edge to start with. A little bit of progress but lots more work needed.
  • BXOs -- just 5 or 6 minutes on these, but they are coming along nicely. We worked just on the bad side (CCW). Sonya had me focus on trying to turn the ankle at the end of the underpush. It's hard. On the (very!) positive side it looks like I am getting a real cross on this side now, at last. So yay! for me!
After my lesson I had a good talk with Sonya about motivation and hard work. She also gave me some info about the holiday show at the rink and gave me some ideas for how I might be involved. I'd like to do a group number with other adults, I think, but I'm still not sure about fitting it into my schedule.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home