Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, April 03, 2006

These Are The Times...


...that try men's souls!

I've been struggling a lot with motivation lately, as some of my readers might have discerned. Being in a new, strange place is making me ask questions like "why am I doing this?!" and "what do I hope to accomplish?". I'm sure many of you have asked yourselves the same questions. I just feel very isolated and sluggish, and I'm not happy with my skating.

So, I had a talk with myself yesterday, about how if I'm going to skate, I should just skate and forget the whiny thoughts and drama. Yes, I'm in a strange place, and yes, I have no coach, and yes I miss my friends and the warm cozy environment I had in Tucson. But what's done is done, and I am here and I need to make the best of it.

So... with that in mind I actually managed to drag my butt out of bed and skate this morning before work at the 8:30 a.m. freestyle. I had a reasonably good skate. It wasn't that crowded (5 or 6 people, all adults), so I worked on my Russian stroking (finally getting much better at doing a whole lap at a time and not wimping out), 3s, and 5-step Mohawk. I did my 10 waltz jumps and 5 Salchow attempts (bleah) and some spins too.

I had a chance to talk to one of the coaches (Leone), and I asked if I could set up a lesson with her but apparently she is booked solid. I talked to another coach (Suzy) on Saturday and set up a lesson for Friday at 5:30 p.m.

One thing I've noticed is, I'm never skating around kids anymore. That's too bad -- skating around kids always made me work harder, I think, and they are fun to be around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home