Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Spins & BI3 Prep


Since I was not feeling well earlier this week, I had rescheduled my Tuesday lesson to today. Today's lesson:
  • Spins -- started out with a two-foot, then went to 1-foot (from 2-foot) and backspin (from 2-foot). These are okay. On the one-foot I need to watch the free leg, I tend to do a "stork" position which throws me off. When I can keep the free leg close it's much better. On the backspin I think I got about 1 rev.; Anna says I need to stand taller and really feel my weight on the ball of the foot. Anna said she didn't want to drill this too much since I won't be doing them this way.
  • Spin entrance (part 1) -- we moved on to looking at the spin entrance, and I did a couple that were just so-so. Anna stopped and we moved on to...
  • FO edges -- Anna had me do a lap or so of alternating FO edges. She was impressed that I'm getting much better kneebend on these. Still, I could do more. She emphasized that I need to really get some outside edge pressure, which actually equates to the "edge bite" feeling I've been working toward on my forward crossovers. Anna said, "I love it when everything ties together!" And of course it's true. So, with that experience, we went back to...
  • Spin entrance (part 2) -- Anna told me I need to get more kneebend on the RBI entrance, press the heel, and hold the free foot closer so it's just a step and not so much like a leap :-). She also had me work to keep the free hip back on the step forward (as I said, like an arrow aimed at the center of the circle). Anna says I am really close on this and that at some point I just need to give it a try. What I'm still lacking though is the "edge grind" on the LFO edge.
  • FI3/back 2-foot turn -- Anna next asked me what I wanted to work on: FO3s, FI3s, or Mohawks, so I said FI3s. Little did I know she meant the dreaded turn/back 2-foot turn combo on the hockey circle. These are definitely improving, though. Anna was very impressed with my RFI3. The LFI3 is still a bit weak. The back 2-foot turns are definitely improving. I managed a really nice one, and Anna asked "what was different about that one?!" and I responded, "I finally bent my freakin' knees!". So there you have it. It's all about the knee bend.
  • BI3 prep -- from there it was on to scary stuff. Anna showed me the entrance to the BI3 (RBI3, in this case) and we worked the entrance several times. Truth be told, it's not actually that scary feeling for some reason or another. Of course, I have a hard time convincing myself to actually look over my shoulder (why the heck IS that?). Anyway, we got some good progress on it, although I didn't actually do one yet. And with that we were out of time.
All in all a pretty good lesson. Anna informed me that the morning freestyles next week will be starting on the hour, not 15 minutes after; so my lesson will be at 7:30 instead of 7:45. *sigh* I'm sure it will be good for me. Now, though, I'm thinking I will just jump out of bed and drive to the rink, and come home afterward and take a shower then. With all that I'd still get to work by 9, so no harm, no foul. Something to think about.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home